With UChicago Promise, the University of Chicago builds on its commitment to help students from the City of Chicago access the best colleges and succeed when they get there.
Helping Chicagoans thrive in college
UChicago Promise is the University of Chicago’s pledge to help increase college access and readiness for Chicago high school students. It marks a strong investment in the University’s long-standing commitment to providing opportunities for Chicago’s students, offering additional resources and support for those interested in attending the University of Chicago or other selective, liberal arts colleges.
Our Pledge: Graduate Debt-Free
Chicago residents who attend high school in Chicago and are admitted for undergraduate studies at the University of Chicago can attend the University without receiving any loans in their financial aid packages. These student loans will be replaced by grants, which do not have to be repaid.
Chicago residents who attend high school in Chicago will have the $75 application fee automatically waived when applying to the University of Chicago.
The Academy will support and train educators by providing professional development and other resources. It also will provide resources and information to guide students and families through college admissions and financial aid processes—whether they are interested in the University of Chicago or any other selective four-year college.
Mentoring & Preparation
The University of Chicago offers a number of programs for high school students that provide mentoring and academic preparation for college. Beginning in the 2012-2013 academic year, the University will extend its Jeff Metcalf Internships program to fund 12 internships for students in the College to support the new Admissions Academy. In coordination with professional staff from the Admissions Office, the UChicago Promise Metcalf interns will be responsible for launching the Academy and, in a later stage of the program, will be assigned to select high school guidance counselors to help coach students.
Other K–12 Engagement
UChicago Promise builds on a strong foundation of programs and initiatives sponsored by the University that help Chicago students get the best chance at an excellent education. Explore some of these initiatives »
UChicago Promise benefits the incoming class. Read story »
News & Announcements
- ABC-7’s Charles Thomas speaks with students and faculty about the new opportunities available through UChicago Promise. Watch video
- Matthew Collum, a Promise student from Chicago’s West Side, describes overcoming hardship to earn a full scholarship to UChicago. Read story
- UChicago News covers UChicago Promise. Read story
- UChicago workshops help CPS high school students plan for college. Learn more
- Charter school students rank high in admittance to selective enrollment high schools. Learn more
- Neighborhood Schools Program teams up with Project Exploration for science education. Learn more
View the news archive